End mills are the most commonly used cutting tools for CNC and manual mills and are normally used for machining the sides and faces of a workpiece. Tormach offers a variety of options including:
- High Speed Steel (HSS) End Mill Material: HSS end mills are designed for a variety milling operations on most materials, including steel, at an economical price.
- Standard Carbide End Mill Material: Harder than HSS, standard carbide end mills are designed for general milling operations on all materials.
- Performance Carbide End Mill Material: Harder than HSS, performance carbide end mills are designed for specific applications, such as machining steel, aluminum, or plastic.
- Tool Sizes: Select a tool size with projects in mind. The goal is always to have the least tool overhang as possible, so if itís a small part, the stub length tools might be the best option. Parts with long sides to profile will require a regular length tool.
- Shank Types: End mills are secured by the shank of the tool, so knowing what type of shank the cutting tool has is critical to selecting the right tool holder.
- Flutes: Flutes offer a means of escape for material being removed. Aluminum typically requires larger escape routes, so fewer flutes, while stainless steel breaks off into smaller pieces, making more flutes a better option.
- Coatings: Coatings are applied to cutting tools to add features to the cutting tool the metal of the tool does not provide, such as additional viscosity, strength, and heat resistance. They can also prolong tool life by reducing wear and tear to the tools.
Tormach offers a variety of performance carbide end mills, which are designed for milling specific materials, such as stainless steel, steel, aluminum, and plastic.
High speed steel (HSS) end mills can be used for a variety of milling operations on most materials, including steel, at an economical price. These tools are available in a variety of regular and stub length sizes, and can be single or double ended, which is identified in the individual descriptions.