Is there anything worse than breaking a tap?
Crashing a CNC machine in a way that does costly damage is worse, certainly, but breaking a tap off in an expensive part that’s nearly finished has got to come in a close 2nd.
I just finished the 11th episode of CNC Chef for Cutting Tool Engineering. This video provides some insight on how to avoid breaking taps:
My seven ways to avoid breaking a tap include:
- Choosing the best hole size
- Using form taps when possible
- Thread mill critical and tough jobs
- Use purpose-made tapping lubricants
- Use the right tool holder
- Extract chips with a spiral-fluted tap
- Mind the depth on blind holes
Taken together these tips provide a wealth of techniques that will make breaking taps far less likely in your shop.
This post originally appeared on the CNC Cookbook blog.