Nov 23, 2016 -
Do you like to make things in your spare time? Did you participate in Formula SAE, Human Powered Vehical, Solar Car, SAE Baja, or another student club where people welded, milled, scrapped together bits and pieces from McMaster Carr and the cut-off bin in the engineering machine shop to ‘make it work’ in time for the competition? If you enjoy seeing the products you design cut complex shapes out of metal, if you watch machining videos on Youtube in your spare time, if you consider yourself a ‘maker’, a welder, or a fabricator in addition to being an engineer, we want to hear from you. Our story is all about helping people make things. We empower ideas. We make affordable, precise tools and support them with top notch software, customer service, and educational resources. We are committed to being the best provider of CNC equipment to research and development departments, prototyping shops, educational institutions, makerspaces, and small production facilities. Based just 7 miles from downtown Madison Wisconsin in the village of Waunakee, we are a fast-growing company with a great culture that fosters collaboration and ideas.
You, our future Machine Design Engineer, will be a key member of our engineering team. You will be the person designing, testing, and improving CNC machines and accessories. You won’t be stuck at a desk all day as a CAD jockey – you will spend a significant part of your time in our R&D lab doing hands-on design and testing.
Things you must have:
- A 4 year engineering degree
- Prior academic or professional experience with CNC equipment
- Experience with Solidworks or similar solid modeling system
- Background in making things, whether for work or hobby
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is less structured than larger companies
- An interest in making things
- Awareness of social media and the hackerspace, Maker, or educational communities
- An interest in helping others and sharing knowledge
- An interest in learning
- Intellectual curiosity
Above and beyond:
- Software development experience or the desire to learn it (Python, Arduino, C)
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodology
- Prior employment in CNC machine design
Tormach is a rapidly growing business committed to providing a fun work environment for its employees. Our engineers are not confined to a cubicle - they machine and plasma-cut prototypes, use oscilloscopes, record data from force gauges, and regularly get their hands dirty. We work hard and we play hard and we’re looking for people with a similar ‘maker’ attitude. If you want this job don’t just send us a resume – send a portfolio of your projects or pictures of things you’ve made.
Best of all, we are a 100% employee owned company whose new hires share in ownership beginning on the first day of employment. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.